Hearty Minestrone Soup
It’s been very cold and snowy the past few weeks here in Baltimore, and now it’s cold and raining. Cold and rain equals soup for me. I’ve made a lot of soup recently, and this time my husband requested a soup with macaroni. Since I am injured, I have been trying to cut down on non fruit and veggie carbs. Since the last soup was only vegetables and beans, this one is vegetables, beans and macaroni. This soup is also packed with healthy carbohydrates, protein, fiber and vitamins with all of the added veggies. Yummy and warms the body and soul.
Hearty Minestrone Soup (Serves 6)
- Olive Oil- 2 swirls around the pan
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2x 14.5 oz Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1x 14.5 oz can low sodium cannelloni beans
- 1x 14.5 oz can low sodium kidney beans
- 4 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth or 2 cups of water and 2 cups of broth (to lessen the sodium)
- 1 cup uncooked whole wheat elbow macaroni
- 2 cups green beans in 2 inch pieces
- 2 cups spinach
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese divided (use less, or more, as desired)
- Pepper, Italian seasoning to taste
Saute garlic, onion, carrots and celery in olive oil for 5 min on medium heat.
Add cans of stewed tomatoes, broth and macaroni and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium and cook for 15 minutes.
Add the green beans, spinach and 1/8 cup of parmesan and cook for an additional 15 min on low to medium.
If desired, add fresh ground pepper, Italian seasoning and the other 1/8 cup of parmesan cheese
- 68g carbohydrate
- 7g fat
- 20g protein
- 13g fiber