No Crust Veggie Lentil Quiche (gluten free, veg)
Who else thought winter was over already? I did…Thankfully, it seems to just be yesterday and today. Tomorrow is a high of 54 degrees, quite balmy. Certain foods taste better when it’s cold out, and nice warm quiche is one of them.
I love quiche, but it’s quite high in fat if made the traditional way. So for the past few years, I have been making versions of quiche without the crust, using skim milk, egg whites/less eggs and plenty of healthy veggies.
This time, I had onions, broccoli, sweet potato, red peppers and mushrooms. I also had some dried lentils on hand. So what better then extra protein, fiber and vitamins/minerals like folate, iron, molybdenum and B vitamins with the lentils.
Cooking a crustless quiche is quite simple. It’s really just sauting the veggies, and mixing the liquid ingredients, and baking. This time, also cooking the lentils.
Lentil Veggie Quiche, 6 servings
- 1/2 c dried lentils, cooked per the package instructions
- olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cups of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 cup sweet potato, chopped
- 4 oz of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 4 eggs beaten
- 1 cup of skim milk
- 1/2 c 2% sharp chedder cheese
- salt, pepper, italian seasoning if desired
- Prepare lentils according to the directions, set aside. You might need to drain the lentils if any water is left in the pot (I did). Pour the lentils into the bottom of a pie plate. This will act kind of like a crust to the quiche.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees
- Swirl olive oil once around the pan and heat to medium. Add the garlic and onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli, sweet potato, mushrooms and red pepper. Cook an additional 5-7 minutes until the veggies are lightly cooked.
- Season the veggies with salt, pepper, italian seasoning or any additional seasonings desired
- In a bowl whisk the eggs lightly. Add milk and whisk. Gently add the cheese.
- Pour the cooked veggies onto the lentil layter. Gently pour the milk/egg/cheese mixture on top of the veggies.
- Bake for 45min or until the center of the quiche is firm. Cool 10min before serving.
- 24g carbohydrate
- 6g fat
- 14g protein
- 7g fiber