Quick Fire Roasted Tomato Soup (GF, Veg)
All week Brett has been under the weather. He even stayed home from school and just laid on the couch, coughing, sneezing, etc. I did my best to stay healthy-washing my hands, cleaning, taking Vit. C, taking my probiotics, trying to get lots of sleep, etc. Unfortunately it didn’t work, and here I am with a head cold. Runny nose, sore throat, the whole nine yards.
When I’m sick I crave hot tea, hot cocoa and warm and soothing soup. Brett loves tomato soup, so I decided it was time for a nice batch of tomato soup. I follow no meat on Friday’s during Lent, so yesterday turned out to be the perfect time for the soup-sick and no meat. I actually made tuna melt’s for Brett as well. Yummy.
While I’d love to say I roasted my own tomatoes, being March and snowy, tomatoes aren’t in season. Plus I wanted to make a quick soup. Instead I used fire roasted diced tomatoes to add the roasted flavor. I love thick soups, but feel free to add more vegetable broth to thin your soup out. Also, I love adding beans or lentils to my soup, then blending them. No one can guess what makes your soup so creamy and hearty, it’s great. Plus, they add a needed protein boost. This time I used red lentils, which tend to become very soft and are easily blended. I chose to blend the soup to hide the lentils, and make it more creamy. I do like a bit of texture, which is why I added the second can of roasted tomatoes after blending. Feel free to blend everything if you like a smoother texture.
This soup warms the soul. In addition, this soup provides a good source of carbohydrates, fiber, protein and lycopene (a carotene that reduces cancer risk).
Quick Fire Roasted Tomato Soup (Serves 6)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup of red lentils
- 28oz of peeled whole tomatoes
- 2x 14oz can of fire roasted tomatoes, drained and divided
- 2.5 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/8th season of red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning or a combo of basil and thyme
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Swirl the olive oil around the pan.
- Add the garlic and onion and cook for 5 minutes. Stir, making sure the garlic doesn’t burn.
- Add the lentils, peeled tomatoes, 1x 14oz can fire roasted tomatoes and 2.5 cups of broth.
- Bring to a boil, top with a lid, and reduce heat and simmer 20min, or until lentils are soft.
- With an immersion blender or blender, blend the soup. If using a normal blender, blend in batches making sure to cover the lid with a towel.
- After the soup is blended stir the other 14oz can of roasted tomatoes into the soup. Season.
Nutrition (2 cup serving)
- 49g carbohydrates
- 14g of protein
- 4g of fat
- 16g of fiber
- 870mg of sodium